With a long history recorded in a remarkable landscape and a high-definition local soil, Chateau Fonchereau, former home of the noble Chateau Lamothe is a real fore type estate that draws on the tradition of very diverse production.
Situated at 15km at the east of Bordeaux in Montussan, the vast residence drives a property of 50 hectares : 30 hectares of vines in one piece and 20 hectares of woods and meadows. The structure of the property, protected by the surrounding forest, well exposed, generate a remarkable microclimate which protects the vines from hail and frost. As many natural arguments join high quality soils of gravelly clay, and the slight slope facilitates the flow of stormwater. Keep as a real garden, the vineyard is maintained with extreme carefulness, with an inspiration deeply ecological, an integrated viticulture and the respect of the soil. Experienced many times – prior of the 15th century – the vineyard is composed with 60% of merlot, 20% of cabernet sauvignon and 20% of cabernet franc for the red vines (28 hectares) and with Semillon for the white vines (2 hectares).
Chateau Fonchereau depended as noble house of Château Lamothe, such as the surrounding Chateaux of Moune, Puymiran and Taillefer.
In his book, “The Chateau Of Gironde”, Guilhon makes the following comments on Fonchereau : The house is a building incorporated to a tower from the XVIth century, remodel in the XVIIth century. It has its own chapel and a pretty pigeon house. The lord has the right of reprimand and exile and he had burial rights in Montussan church.
During the first half of the XVIIth century, Château Fonchereau belonged to Messier Gilles de Geneste, President of the Parliament of Bordeaux. In 1647, Jean Talartry, Finance Treasurer of Guyenne, became its owner.
In 1719, the Chateau was the Knight François de Cursol’s property, and then belonged to the Lady de Guimps, Montaigne’s cousin. It stayed in the Guimps’ Family until 1863.
The life in the Chateau Fonchereau, right before the French Revolution was a subject of research by Ms. Carole Rathier (Bordeaux III University), who studied the correspondence received by Madame de Cursol from her mother, Madame Duplessy, between 1768 and 1782 (756 letters in all).
The property was acquired by M. Thibaud at the end of the XIXth century and then sold to the Vinot Postry family in 1940.
During the Second World War, the Chateau hosted several resistance activities, including clandestine radio transmitter, through the network Jade-Armicol.
In 2006, the vineyard was purchased by a group of Latin American investors like Mr Alfredo Ruiz.