Alaska Airlines Group Ordered to Pay $31 Million to Flight Attendants as Part of a Pay Dispute

The recent court decision was readjusted from the original ruling.


Alaska Airlines and Virgin America flight attendants won nearly $31 million as part of a reassessment of a decade-long class action lawsuit against Alaska Airlines Group over wage disputes.


pay fines

Years after the class action lawsuit against Alaska Airlines Group was filed, a federal district judge in Northern California reassessed the penalties the airline group was required to pay for failing to adequately compensate flight attendants. In the original decision made by Judge Jon S. Tigar in 2019, the flight attendants were paid around $77 million in damages and fines. Still, the airline group went to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to reduce the number.

SIMPLE FLIGHT OF THE DAY VIDEO

In the appeals court, most of Tigar’s ruling was upheld, but some parts were not, requiring a recalculation of fees paid. The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California handled the recalculation of the fees and today determined that the flight attendants were owed another $31 million and the state was owed nearly $12.3 million in penalties. . The airline group sought a reduction of almost 75% of the fines in the appeals court, but in the end only received a reduction of around 25%.

A large portion, 75% to be exact, of the fees owed will go to the state of California as part of the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA). California law requires that 75% of PAGA fines be paid to the California Workforce and Labor Development Agency with the remaining 25% going to workers.

_wordpress_wp-content_uploads_2021_04_A321neo_Virgin-America-3-1000x667.jpeg

Photo: Airbus

When the class action lawsuit was filed, the flight attendants accused the airline group of a series of violations including paying fewer hours than the amount worked, keeping wages at the minimum rate and failing to provide accurate wage statements. The breakdown of the $31 million that will be paid to flight attendants is as follows:

  • Over $6.3 million in damages and restitution for overtime failures
  • More than $5.1 million in interest for the above
  • More than $601,000 for rest periods and meal claims
  • Nearly $4.4 million for wage statement failures
  • More than $2.2 million in fines for waiting time

Recent Alaska Airlines News

Earlier today, Alaska Airlines announced that it will invest $25 million to install equipment to provide WiFi on its regional aircraft, which will soon include Embraer E175s, as Dehavilland Canada Dash 8-Q400s will be retired this week.

FIRST FLIGHT AT THE GATE OF PAINE FIELD - An Alaska Airlines Horizon Air ERJ-175 is the first jet

Photo: Joe Kunzler | simple flight

The airline is nearing the end of the process of installing satellite WiFi equipment on its main line of aircraft and predicts that all Alaska Airlines passengers will have inflight Internet access within the next four years. Intelsat has been chosen as Alaska’s partner for the upgrades that are expected to be completed in 2026.

Read the full story here.

Wi-Fi will be provided first on Horizon Air aircraft and then on the SkyWest fleet that operates for Alaska Airlines. Horizon Air is a regional carrier operating solely for Alaska Airlines, so it will undergo updates before SkyWest aircraft serving Alaska.

Source: Bloomberg Law

  • Alaska 737-800

    Alaska Airlines

    IATA/ICAO code:
    AS/ASA

    Type of airline:
    Full Service Carrier

    Center(s):
    Anchorage International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, Portland International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

    Foundation year:
    1932

    Alliance:
    a world

    CEO:
    Ben Minicucci

    Country:
    USA

Source