Fort Myers, Fla. – Coming off two home wins last week that extended EKU’s home winning streak to 10, the Colonels head to Florida to take on FGCU (18-3, 6-1 ASUN) on Thursday, January 26 and Stetson ( 8-12, 2 -5 ASUN) on Saturday, January 28.
Thursday’s contest featuring the highest ranked FGCU from the ASUN Conference begins at 7:00 pm ET and can be viewed on ESPN+. Saturday’s rematch with Stetson, who EKU beat at home on Jan. 5 by a score of 80-69, is also available on ESPN+ beginning at 1:00 p.m. ET. Both contests can also be found on 92.5 WEKY with Wes Chandler on the call.
The Colonels are off to a 5-2 start to ASUN play with wins over Kennesaw State, Stetson, Bellarmine, North Florida and Jacksonville at home. EKU is looking for its first conference win on the road, falling to Central Arkansas and Bellarmine in road contests.
As of January 24, EKU leads ASUN in scoring offense (78.8), assists per game (17.6), free throws made per game (13.75), and free throw percentage (77.7). The Colonels rank within the top-25 of Division I teams in the above statistical categories.
Forward antwinette walker, which leads ASUN in more than 10 statistical categories, has registered double-digit goalscoring efforts in 18 consecutive matches. The St. Francis High School (Illinois) producer is averaging 21.6 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game on 50.8 percent shooting from the field in her season. senior red shirt.
Walker ranks among the top 15 players in the country in double-doubles, points, points per game, field goals made, and field goal attempts.
Washington, D.C. native, Danielle Rainey, shined for EKU in their last three conference games. The graduating student has recorded 16 or more points and 6 or more rebounds in her last three games. She adding a five-assist performance against North Florida.
Eastern Kentucky Notes
– With 10 consecutive home wins, EKU coach greg todd he moves to 20-6 (.769) all-time inside Baptist Health Arena.
– Recanati has recorded consecutive games with nine or more assists, bringing her career total to 340, which ranks ninth in EKU program history. She ranks in the top 15 in the NCAA in assists (113) and assists per game (5.7).
– emma hacker Y Ariel Kirkwood both moved onto EKU’s all-time career-blocks list this season, Hacker remains 10th with 62 career blocks, Kirkwood needs four rejections to move to eighth all-time with 71.
– Danielle Rainey he recorded the first triple-double in EKU program history with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in the Colonels’ 110-49 win over Alice Lloyd College.
Game 21: Eastern Kentucky (12-8, 5-2 ASUN) at Florida Gulf Coast (18-3, 6-1 ASUN)
– Thursday, January 26, 2023 – 7:00 pm ET
– Alico Arena (4,333) – Fort Myers, Florida.
All time vs. FGCU
– Thursday’s contest is the third meeting between FGCU and EKU, the series being tied 1-1 since 2007.
– All three games between the two schools were played in Fort Myers, with EKU winning 74-56 on November 24, 2007 and losing last year to No. 20 FGCU 92-70 in their first ASUN meeting.
scouting the eagles
– FGCU is led by head coach Karl Smesko, who has a 628-131 record in 24 years as a coach. In 21 years at FGCU, he compiled 567 of his 628 career wins.
– Smesko has guided teams to the ASUN Conference Championship in each of the past 10 seasons, winning eight of those games.
– The Eagles are currently tied for first place in ASUN with a 6-1 conference record, recording wins against Liberty, Jacksonville, North Alabama, Central Arkansas and Queens.
– FGCU lost their last contest on the road to Liberty by a score of 88-78 in OT.
– Florida Gulf Coast had one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the conference, facing No. 2 Stanford on the road, falling 93-69 and splitting contests with Duke at home and Kentucky on the road.
– The Eagles are led by ASUN Preseason Player of the Year and Preseason Unanimous All-Conference Pick Tishara Morehouse, who is averaging 16.4 points and 3.7 rebounds per game.
– FGCU leads the NCAA in 3-pointers made per game (11.1) and 3-point attempts per game (30.4).
Game 22: Eastern Kentucky (12-8, 5-2 ASUN) at Stetson (8-12, 2-5 ASUN)
– Saturday, January 28, 2023 – 1:00 pm ET
– Edmunds Center (4000) – DeLand, Florida.
All time vs. Stetson
– Eastern Kentucky defeated Stetson early in the season 80-69, their first win over the Hatters in program history.
– Walker led the Colonels and the game with 21 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
– marissa mackinsHacker and Rainey also posted double-figure scoring efforts.
– Saturday’s contest is the sixth meeting between SU and EKU, Stetson leads the all-time series 4-1.
– EKU is 1-1 in its two seasons as an ASUN member against Stetson, the series dating back to 1986. The Colonels are looking for their first win in DeLand, going 0-3 all-time.
Keep up with all the EKU women’s basketball on Instagram (@ekuwbb) and Twitter (@EKUWBB).