Having trouble using the YouTube search feature on your Apple iPhone or Android device? There are several reasons why the application is not getting the expected results. You can try a few ways to fix the problem and find your favorite YouTube videos again.
A common reason why you can’t use YouTube’s search feature is that your app has a minor glitch. Other causes include an idle internet connection, YouTube not having full data access, and more.
Relaunch YouTube on your phone
A quick way to fix most YouTube issues is to quit and restart the YouTube app on your phone. This fixes several minor issues with the app, allowing you to use the search feature.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your phone screen and pause in the middle.
- Find Youtube in the list and swipe up on the app to close it.
- Play Youtube on the home screen to restart the app.
- Tap on the Recent apps button
- Swipe up on the Youtube app
- Play Youtube on your home screen or in your app drawer.
Check your internet connection
YouTube requires an active internet connection to get search results. If your connection is spotty or not working at all, that’s why you can’t use the search option.
You can verify this by opening a web browser on your phone and launching a site like Bing. If you can access the site, your Internet is working fine. In this case, keep reading to discover more solutions.
If your web browser cannot load the site, your Internet connection is faulty. In this case, try to solve the problem yourself or seek help from your provider.
Check if YouTube is down
YouTube servers sometimes go down, causing a platform outage. Your not working search function may be the result of such outage.
You can check if YouTube is experiencing downtime by using a site like DownDetector. If the platform is really down, you will have to wait until the company brings the servers back up. There is nothing you can do on your end to resolve the issue.
Update YouTube to fix search bar issue
YouTube app errors can cause the search function to not work. Since you can’t fix these coding level issues yourself, you can update the app on your phone to get rid of those errors.
It’s easy and free to update YouTube on both iPhone and Android.
- Throw app store on your iPhone.
- select updates in the background.
- To choose To update beside Youtube on the list.
- Open google play store on your phone.
- search and select Youtube.
- Play To update to update the app.
Update your iPhone or Android phone
System errors on your iPhone or Android phone can cause your apps to malfunction. This is especially true if your phone is running an outdated OS version.
In this case, you can solve your YouTube search problem by updating your phone software to the latest version. This is how you do it.
- Open settings on your iPhone.
- navigate to General > Software update in the settings.
- Let your iPhone check for available updates.
- Download and install updates by touching download and install.
- Reboot your iPhone.
- Throw settings on your phone.
- select System > system updates.
- Check for and install any available updates.
- Reboot your phone.
Use the correct date and time on your phone
Some apps require your phone to use the correct date and time to work. If you have incorrectly specified the date and time options on your phone, that may be the reason why the YouTube search function is not working.
Correct those options on your phone and YouTube will work as expected.
- Throw settings on your iPhone.
- select General > Date and Time.
- Activate set automatically.
- Open settings on your phone.
- select System > Date and Time.
- turn both on Use the time provided by the network Y Use network-provided time zone.
Enable YouTube incognito mode
YouTube offers an incognito mode that allows you to browse the platform without keeping track of your watch history. It’s worth using this mode to see if it helps fix your search problem.
- Open the Youtube app on your phone.
- Select your profile icon in the upper right corner of YouTube.
- To choose activate incognito.
- select It is understood in the notice.
- Use the search option and see if that works.
- You can turn off incognito mode by tapping on your profile icon in the top right corner of YouTube and choosing disable incognito.
Fix YouTube search not working by clearing app cache
YouTube uses temporary files called caches to improve your experience on the app. These files may have become corrupted and your app’s features may not work. Fortunately, you can clear your YouTube cache without affecting your personal data in the app.
Your login session and other information in the app will remain intact when you clear the cache. Note that you can only do this on Android, as the iPhone doesn’t allow you to clear your app’s cache.
- Throw settings on your android phone.
- select Apps and notifications > Youtube in the settings.
- Play Storage and cache.
- To choose clear cache.
Allow YouTube to use data without restrictions
If you have enabled data saving mode on your Android phone, that may be restricting YouTube’s internet usage. This results in app features not working.
You can whitelist the YouTube app in the mode and allow the app to use data without restrictions. This is likely to solve your in-app search problem.
- Open settings on your android phone.
- delve into Apps and notifications > Youtube > Mobile data and Wi-Fi.
- Light Unrestricted data usage.
Reset your phone’s network settings
If your YouTube search problem persists, please try to reset the network settings of your iPhone or Android phone to solve your network problems. This will ensure that incorrectly specified options are not causing the problem.
- Open settings on your iPhone.
- select General > Restart in the settings.
- To choose reset network settings.
- Enter your iPhone passcode.
- select reset network settings in the notice.
- Throw settings on your phone.
- navigate to System > reboot options in the settings.
- To choose Reset Wi-Fi, Cellular, and Bluetooth.
- select reset settings.
Make the YouTube search bar functional on your smartphone
YouTube search is an essential feature as this is how you can find the videos you are interested in on this giant video hosting site. A broken search function means you can’t see what you want.
Fortunately, you can use the methods described above to solve your search problem. Then you can find any video you think is worth watching on this platform. Good luck!